Thursday, November 26, 2015

thanks in a world of giving


Happy Thanksgiving.  Whether you celebrate it on a conventional date or, as we do, whenever the mood strikes.

I have a lot to be thankful for this year.  My health, even though I have undergone a few setbacks, has been good.  I have friends who constantly add joy to my life (while I remember the friends who are now memories).  And I have a great family, who has been with me through good and bad times during the year -- and who will be much nearer before the next year is out.

I thank God for providing all that.

Take a look at the photograph at the top of this essay.  On their face, they are three "get well" cards.  You have seen the one on the left (thinking of patti).  It is from my friend Stephanie -- who I have known from the sixth grade.

The card in the middle is from my cousin Dennis.  Of the seven cousins in our family, he is the closest in age to me -- and an occasional cruise partner.

The golden retriever card is from my friend Leo.  You remember him.  We have been friends since college.  He visited me in Barra de Navidad in August, and added some new adventure to my life.

Some people would see those cards as mere pieces of stiff paper embossed with rank sentiment.  Maybe they are.

But, to me, they are far more than that.  The people who sent them took time from their schedules to pick out an appropriate card, to write me a note, and to then place it in the hands of a postman,  They are physical representations of a bond that exists between giver and recipient.  Between friend and friend.

So, Stephanie, Leo, and Dennis, I thank you.  I am thankful for the relationships we have had over the years -- and for those to come.

And I am equally thankful to each of you who have sent me well wishes through comments on this blog, on Facebook, and email.  It is almost worth having a few health maladies to receive what has been a very reassuring outpouring of love.

For all of that, I am thankful.  But, most of all, I am thankful for my Mother, my brother Darrel, and my sister-in-law Christy, who I will be sharing a slice of bird with in a day or two.

I trust your day -- and year -- will be as blessed.


No comments: