Friday, June 05, 2015

politicing winds down

Election day draws nigh in Mexico.  7 June, to be exact.

Mexico has an interesting custom of clamping a hiatus on campaigning on the days prior to elections.*  Because politicians (and their supporters) are merely human, there is a frenzy of activity before the cut-off date.

Last evening, it was PAN's turn.  Our local area is one of those swing districts.  Both PAN and PRI have a good opportunity to elect members of their party.  For that reason alone, I have seen more activity by both parties.

I drove over to Villa Obregon in the late afternoon to pick up my laundry.  On my way there, the highway was awash with SUVs and pickups -- all filled with PAN supporters waving huge blue and white flags.  I suspected they were on their way to a rally in San Patricio.

On the way back to Barra de Navidad, the stream of PAN supporters was still driving into San Patricio.

I didn't think much more about it.  After all, I have already written three pieces about this election (on the street where I live, blocking the "x", wearin' of the blue).  Even for a political junkie, like me, that is just about enough.

By the time I got home, I was only interested in spending time in the pool.  The temperature was still 91. 

I must have been in there for over an hour when I heard -- Horns honking.  Sirens wailing.  Exuberant celebrants whooping like teenage girls from a trailer park.

The political demonstration had rolled into my neighborhood.  As it turned out, a lot of canvassing was under way, as well.

In my experience, canvassing entails going door to door with a voting list to engage potential voters on their stoop.  And, of course, to hand them an extravagantly-priced, glossy brochure.

That is not the custom here.  Party supporters scurry down streets tucking the same type of extravagantly-priced, glossy brochure into gates and under doors.  In a country based on relationships, it is odd that the process is so anonymous.

In my case, I received ten of the same brochures.  The PRI supporters were every bit as prodigal with their literature earlier in the week.  Maybe people assume that such a large façade must house a brace of voters -- when there are none.  None, right now.

So, like my neighbors, I will wait for the election results starting this Sunday. 

This may be the last cycle where I will simply be an observer, and not a participant.


* -- Mexico has another interesting restriction.  No alcohol can be sold on election day.  That was once true of most of The States.  This year, in Mexico, that includes election day on Sunday and the full day before the election (Saturday).  My first year here, a local night club owner got around the restriction by closing his establishment and holding a private party.  Of course, the "guests" had to pay full tab. 

 

No comments: