Wednesday, March 12, 2014

buying property with bob dylan


Not too long ago, I promised you some big news.

When I made the promise, I was not certain what that news would be.  But here it is.  And it is not quite what I anticipated.

Yesterday, we held a family meeting.  The Cottons are headed south.  Sort of.

Seven years ago, at my sister-in-law's request, I started researching places where our family could live after retiring.  Narrowing the list to Mexico was easy.  And I eventually decided that either Pátzcuaro or Barra de Navidad would be perfect nesting grounds for the Family Cotton.

Most of you know how this story turns out.  I was the only member of our family who decided to retire.  And, due to a number of coincidences, I moved neither to Pátzcuaro nor Barra de Navidad, but to dusty little Melaque -- where I have been living on my own for five years.

It appears that may change within the next couple years.  My brother is ready to move down.  If he had his way, he would be in Mexico tomorrow.  But there are still some work projects to complete -- for him and for my sister-in-law. 

So, here is what we think is going to happen.  In about two years, the two of them will start spending time in Mexico with me -- until they can divest themselves of their property connections in Oregon.

And Mom?  She will spend time visiting, as well.

That brings us back to the question of whether or not to buy a house.  It would be nice to have our own place when they visit.  But I am no longer looking for a place exclusively for the four of us.

I have at least three places in mind to visit when I return to Melaque -- all three in Barra de Navidad.  One is pictured at the top of this post.  And it appears that the house I have loved since 2007 (ms. barra-in-the-country seeks your vote) is back on the market.

As you read this, I am on my way from the Redmond airport to the Manzanillo airport.  It may be a few days before I have any additional news to announce on this front.

But the times, they are a-changin'.


No comments: