Friday, March 29, 2013

eating the past


When my brother was here four years ago, I introduced him to one of my favorite restaurants in La Manzanilla -- Lora Loca.  Lora makes a baked enchilada dish that will whisk you off to a grandmother's table in central Mexico.

He made me promise it would be one of our first afternoons out.  So, on Monday, off we drove over the hills between Melaque and La Manzanilla -- only to discover (or remember, in my case) that, just like barbers of my youth, she is closed on Mondays.

Yesterday, after an unsuccessful search for a new Ford Escape in Manzanillo, the three of us decided to give Lora's place another try.  And successful it was.

The last time Darrel and I were there, we had dinner with two fellow bloggers -- American Mommy in Mexico and the author of Visit La Manzanilla.  We all had a great evening sitting on our sand-bound table and getting to know one another -- supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.  Due to the over-blown hysteria associated with the swine flu that spring night, we had the beach almost to ourselves.

That was not true yesterday.  Semana santa is swinging into full gear.  Even though the beach in front of Lora's was busy, it was nothing compared to the crowd about a block up the beach.  I regretted not taking my good camera with us.  Instead, all I have is the shot from my telephone camera.

As Darrel said, it looks like a good start to one of those "China-goes-to-the-beach" photographs.

This is one of my favorite times of the year. I love to see people enjoying life.  And there is no better place to see that than on a Mexican beach at Easter time.


No comments: