Thursday, January 19, 2012

lonely swinger


I stepped into my garden this morning and discovered a new hammock.  A veritable Joseph’s coat stretched between two trees.


As inviting as it looked, I forewent its somnolent tranquility for a list of tasks that would have pleased any neurotic still clutching his leather-bound Day-Timer.


I leave for Copper Canyon early on Saturday morning.  And I mean early.  So early I won’t be able to find a rooster stirring.


But I have a list of things that must (or should) be done before I head to northern Mexico with my friends-not-yet-met tour group.  So, early on Thursday, I mounted my steed and set forth to seek Dulcinea.

  • Early last week, I tried to transfer dollars to pesos from my bank account up north.  The transfer was rejected.  So, I waited until today to go talk to my local branch bank manager to get the correct transfer codes.  By the end of the day, the pesos were supposedly in my account.  I have not yet checked with my bank.
  • I needed the pesos to pay for my trip to Copper Canyon.  I had enough to pay about 60% before my stash ran out.  I will check with the bank tomorrow to settle up the balance.
  • My other urgent payment was for my postal box.  With $300 (Mx), I bought the right to use my little piece of postal Mexico.  And I collected six weeks worth of letters, bills, magazines, newspapers, and Christmas cards (an anachronistic experience in its own right.)
  • Manzanillo was the next stop.  My former mail service had received some mail after I closed out my box.  The mail turned out to be two advertisements from my credit union and a calendar from my cruise consultant.  I have to admit it was nice to talk with the new owner.  I have now known him for three years.  I miss catching up on Manzanillo news with him.
  • One of the things I wanted to buy before I left Oregon was a Bluetooth mouse for my new notebook.  But I forgot to buy one before I left.  I find most laptop mouse pads to be far too skittish for my rather brutish typing style.  Office Depot had just what I needed.  Anyone who thinks Mexico is technologically backward has not been shopping in electronic stores lately.
  • My next stop was playing the ATM.  My first try ended up with the machine thinking and spinning for about three minutes before it denied my transaction.  Not a hopeful sign.  I tried again and pesos started flowing.  Not as many as I would have received in November, but more than I would have received in July.

Not bad for a day in Mexico.  I accomplished almost everything I needed to do.  Now all I need to do on Friday is visit the ATM for traveling money, check with the bank that my pesos were really transferred, and pay the balance on my trip.


At times, I feel as if I have a place in Melaque merely to get things done for my next trip.


Colorful hammock or not.

18 comments:

jennifer rose said...

But tomorrow is Friday morning, Steve.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks.  I seem to be chronologically challenged these days.

Don Cuevas said...

Dress warmly for the upper reaches of Copper Canyon. It can be very cold and snowy, like around Creel and Divisadero.

We went to Copper Canyon (but barely _into_ the canyon itself), three times in the early '90s. Every Mexico traveler should do it, I suppose. But now we have the urge satisfied and out of our systems.

Saludos,Don Cuevas 

Steve Cotton said...

I am taking the clothes I brought down from Oregon for the Red China trip.  They should suffice.  I hope.

NWexican said...

Love the hammock!!! Could have used it here to stay out of the water. Enjoy Copper Canyon and share some pics..

NWexican said...

Oh, and BTW, your old workplace is a submarine again..

Steve Cotton said...

Were you water-endangered?

Steve Cotton said...

I took a look at the Statesman's photographs on line.  Shades of 1995.

sparks said...

Yer a travelin' motor scooter ...

I see you have a hammock and we've been having a heck of a time finding materials.   Gonna require a trip to Guad I'm afraid

NWexican said...

yes wife has a few pics

NWexican said...

nope west side up on the hill

Steve Cotton said...

Christine .nstalled it in my absence.  Maybe you can hope the bus with our tour group

Steve Cotton said...

There is an advantage in mountain living.  My Salem house, however, is in the flood plain -- a rather disturbing geographic description.

Steve Cotton said...

Would you mind forwarding some by email?

NWexican said...

Hmm, flood plain has quite a different meaning today than it did a couple of days ago. Oh and this on the latest news, "Timberline picked up 70" of snow in four days"

NWexican said...

She tells me they are on the facebook page of your previous employer.

Steve Cotton said...

Good place to look. Thanks.

Steve Cotton said...

Not to mention Mount Bachelor closing. None of that here.