Friday, October 09, 2009

2 1/2 inches


That is how much rain Wednesday night's storm gave us.


And the relief was everything I thought it would be.


I had my first full night of sleep for a week. When I finally rolled off the bed, I was ready to smite my house-search project.


No. Not smite.


"Smite" is a verb that works well with nouns like David and Goliath. In my case, "dent" will suffice.


I have been switching housing preferences between 1) a nice three-bedroom house near the beach to 2) a one-bedroom apartment anywhere in town. The only constant is that it must be furnished -- and have an internet connection. Almost as if I could not decide whether to date


The only reason to rent a house would be to lure friends south to see me. So far, that has not worked. I have had three visitors -- and great visitors they were. But I do not need to maintain all of that living space and pay a maid for the occasional visitor.


If I can find a one-bedroom place, I will take it.


La Manzanilla was where I started my romance with Mexico. I drove over Thursday morning to see if I could find anything.


I did. I found a bit of reality. Almost as if I discovered the love of my life has a secret personality.


I suspect what has happened is that La Manzanilla is simply getting too familiar to me. And when that happens with a small town, it may be time to move on.


I asked my friend Daniel to check on some rentals for me. But I am shocked at how much landlords are still asking for rental property in this economy. Monthly rent over $1000 is not unusual. And the places sit empty.


Later today I will talk to a landlord about a small place in Melaque and another in Barra de Navidad. There must be a place with my name on it.


If not, there is always the Greek revival villa.


I wonder if it leaks rain?

12 comments:

Alan said...

A tent or a cottage, why should I care? Their building a palace for me over there! Alan

Tancho said...

One of the reasons to abandon the coast, load up the Ford and head to SMA.
You are allow to stop to refill for petrol and Diet Coke in Guadalajara and Morelia, with a side visit to Patzcuaro!

Calypso said...

Amigo - you endured the heat and humidity for the entire summer - now perhaps you should move to the mountains where you can spend the winter in a cold area. What's wrong with this picture?

If that plan doesn't send you home to Salem nothing will.

Meet us in Puerto Escondido in December - you appreciate the beach and the winter a lot more .

Chrissy y Keith said...

I know its not on the beach, but have you considered Colima or Comala? Both places would have better rents and there is so much to do and see, you will not miss the beach. Well, ya you will. But it will be there when ever you want to see it.

Larry in Mazatlan said...

Hmm, Colima isn't that far from the black sand beach of Cuyutlan. However, the latter just isn't much of a town. Spent the longest almost week of my life there. If you decide to go east, consider Xalapa. They don't call it the city of flowers for nothing.

Larry

Beth said...

Your visitors from the north have been waiting for the heat & humidity to dissapate and the cold, rainy weather in Oregon to begin. I vote for the greek revival villa...or at least one extra bedroom.

Anonymous said...

I think Beth hit the nail on the head...come the winter weather NOB you may find you have a constant flow of guests...and new found friends with the influx of winter visitors. We usually RV but this year we have rented a place. The rent is quite high but we like the location and amenities. And, for us, it is a new adventure.

GlorV1 said...

Two bedrooms is better than one. It can be used for a guest room and when it's not being used you can use it as your computer room. For some reason, I was under the impression that where you are now is what you had looked for prior to moving there and that was your last move. I must have read wrong some where along the way. Have a great weekend.

Residente Permanente said...

I suggest you join the Yahoo Group - Civil_SMA. There you can connect with others and share experiences and ideas, look for affordable housing and that great boutique restaurant. Rents there are no way close to the $1000.00 you mention here. But wait, was that USD or MNP? While in Rome as the saying goes .......

Joe S. said...

I'm trying to remember, did you previously mention ghostly goings on, ie the images etched in the windows, in the Greek villa? I'd rather opt for a couch or matress on the floor. Steve, the great sage Kevin Costner said if you rent it in Mexico(during Oregon's winter) they will come.

Steve Cotton said...

Alan -- I fully agree. But until it happens, I need to find some shelter here.

Constantino -- April will soon arrive.

Calypso -- Winter here on the coast will suit me fine.

Chrissy -- Colima is on the list.

Larry -- I want to see as much as I can of the west coast. But there are possibilities on the east coast, as well.

Beth -- I hear the sounds of vested interests.

Anonymous -- Another vote for family style living.

Gloria -- My current arrangement is good for 7 1/2 months. In mid-December I need to move. In April I will need to move again.

Inmigrante rentista -- The $1000 monthly rent is dollars. And that is what I am hearing for places as small as a one bedroom. I am certain there must be other places.

Joe -- The Greek house certainly has character.

Karen said...

Have you thought of Merida? In the winter it is beautiful and the culture is truly amazing. The beach is only about 30 minutes away if you miss the small village feel.