Thursday, June 11, 2009

walking through my dream



Last July I stayed in the house where I am starting my Mexican adventure.


The house was painted white. Everything was white. With the exception of a few blue accents. I woke up several mornings thinking I was on Mykonos again.


I wasn't. I was in Melaque. But color has strong memory links.


The owner told me that she was going to add some color. She did.


The photograph at the top of the post was my introduction to The New House when we arrived in April. And those colors certainly help set the tone for the house.


Let me give you an overview. A realtor would describe the house as a three bedroom, two bath, with living room, dining room, and kitchen. But that hardly catches the spirit of the house.


There are three distinct living areas -- the ground floor, the living area on the second floor, and the roof. For convenience, let's look at the ground floor first and then tackle the other two in subsequent posts.


If you will step through the dark blue garage gate at the left in the top photograph, this is what will greet you. Palm trees. The beach. The ocean.





I remember the first time I saw how close the ocean came to the back of the house. I was transfixed.


I have always enjoyed the motion of the sea. But this house gives me an opportunity to experience it in true tropical fashion.


And what would true tropical fashion be without a hammock? Better yet, what would retirement be without a hammock?




During the past two weeks, I have spent hours reading at the table or napping in the hammock. This 100 square foot area has been my "activity" center.


Jiggs sleeps most of the afternoon next to the hammock. He is feeling much better. But our weather has been climbing into the upper 80s -- with matching humidity.


Neither one of us needs to exert too much energy with those temperatures. I honestly expect Gilligan to show up at any moment. (You young people can ask your parents about that reference.)


This food bar is just behind the hammock. The tile work and paint scheme gives you an idea of the detail in the living area.




But the living area is upstairs. Just follow Jiggs up the stairs, and we will walk through those rooms -- tomorrow.



22 comments:

Julian from SC said...

"Nice digs!" That is quite a nice beach house. I can't remember - are you renting or house-sitting? Either way I think you picked a great first stop in Mexico.

I'll bet those tiles are really cool on a closely shaven belly... no wonder the Professor hangs around that 100 sq. feet also!!

Julian

Michael Dickson said...

You read in the chair and nap in the hammock? Why not read in the hammock? Read, nap, read, nap. Those equipal chairs are only marginally comfortable, I have found.

Mexican furniture in general is usually just marginally comfortable.

For a single guy and a single dog, you sure went whole hog on the house rental, amigo. Looks good.

Mic said...

Argggggggh I hate to-be-continued stories. Come on - go up the blue stairs.

That looks like green grass....or is it sand in the shade. I hadn't noticed before in your beach shots that there was grass - but am glad to see Jiggs has green grass to play on.

Never would have believed that there could be so many different bright colors in one area and not look gaudy....but someone really has astoundingly wonderful taste in decorating. It's lovely!!

Am going to bed - can't stand the suspense :-)

Anonymous said...

What a delightful spot to while away warm, sunny Mexican days! I. Am. So. Jealous! But "my" day is coming - hoping to get back to Merida by September & start a retirement adventure of my own... meanwhile, you and Jiggs enjoy it for all us Mexico wanna-be's!

Calypso said...

A lawyer's idea of a Mexican get away no doubt. This developed out of reading a blog by a woman living in a tent on the beach. ;-)

Babs said...

Muy grande little beach hangout. By Mexican standards large enough for a whole gaggle of people!

GlorV1 said...

Ooooh, I love it already. The colors are really grabbing me and if I wore a necktie, I'd be there right now. :) Very nice Steve. Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. What a great place for you and Mr. Jiggs. Glad he is doing good. Is he doing okay going up the steps? Hope so. Take care and I look forward to seeing what is next. My hugs to Jiggs.

Steve Cotton said...

Julian -- I am house-sitting through mid-December. And it is quite a place. I doubt I would want to own it, due to the maintenance issues. But I enjoy staying here.

Felipe -- I tried reading in the hammock. But the same thing happened when I try to read in bed -- I fell asleep. Thus, I sit in the none-too-comfortable chairs with my feet propped up. Now that Jiggs is feeling better, I have started reading on the balcony on the second floor, sitting in the none-too-comfortable Coca-cola-type chairs. More house than the dog and I need, but I am having no problem getting comfortable with the idea.

Mic -- I thought Jiggs would love the "grass," but it is some sort of odd variety that is very prickly. He rested on it once -- has not been back there since. He will not even use it for toilet needs. He waits until we go outside.

Jodancingtree -- Jiggs and I will be working hard for all of you.

Babs -- When the four of us were here in late April, there was more than enough room for everyone. For weekends, the house could easily accomodate nine or ten people. But you have to realize I use fraternity standards for comfort. A blanket on the balcony would count as a bed.

Steve Cotton said...

Gloria -- The stairs still give Jiggs some trouble, but he gets up and down when he chooses. He seems to like staying downstairs. I think the breezes are better down there.

Tancho said...

I summize that you are not putting roots there. No mandatory blender on the downstairs bar.....

Holly said...

Thank you for the tour, but I'm with Mic. I want the full tour now! I think I might stay on the patio the whole time, but then again I haven't seen the rest of the house. True tropical experience. Have the pic of you in the Hammock at my desk. BTW, I'm handing the wrap-ups over to someone else & moving to a Senior Tech position & own motion desk. I look forward to tomorrow's tour!

Steve Cotton said...

Constantino -- No blender for this teetotlar boy. But, you are correct. No roots for me. I am starring in my own version of MASH.

Joe S. said...

I'm with Constantino, guests, frat brothers or otherwise, might enjoy the blender.

Islagringo said...

The problem, I have found, when people give a virtual tour of their digs is that it is almost impossible to piece together how it all fits. So far, you have done a great job of explaining that. Much like Felipe did on his site with his home.

Mike Nickell and Cynthia Johnson said...

And how's that swimming pool working out for you?? We have light drizzle here today in Salem...

cwilson said...

Retirement without a hammock would be...more ergonomically correct.

Steve Cotton said...

Joe -- Yes. Consideration for my guests is something to take into account.

Islandgringo -- Thanks. Let's see if the second installment works as well.

Cynthia -- The pool is another matter -- worthy of its own post. And I will do that. Soon.

Steve Cotton said...

cwilson -- Something I do miss in Mexico: your singular wit.

1st Mate said...

Steve - Love the gorgeous blue tile and all the blue paint. Thanks for the tour.

Steve Cotton said...

1st Mate -- And we have just begun.

Frankly Ronda said...

Please do not forget to walk us out to the fence to see views all around ... curious to see what the beach actually looks like. Can you swim there? fish?

Steve Cotton said...

Calypso -- I often wonder what Andee would think of my choice. She hated places like this.

AMM -- I want to do a post on the ocean. Soon.