Tuesday, March 03, 2009

andee carlsson memorial update


I received an email Thursday from Russ Nobbs updating Andee Carlsson's friends on the efforts taken to memorialize her.


For those of you who are not familiar with Andee's work, you might want to take a look at
andee carlsson remembered, and then take a look at her blog: My Life in Chacala. The photograph at the top of this post is from her collection.


Rather than paraphrase Russ, he can speak for himself:


Time marches on....

Months ago I got a confirmation from the Friends of Manito that our donation of USD 450 would purchase 2 flowering dogwoods in Spokane's Manito park and that a small plaque will go up in the Gaiser Conservatory in the park acknowledging that they are planted in Andee's memory.

Spokane's unreasonably heavy snow in December kept Dee & I busy shoveling roofs and walks so we never got to visit the Gaiser Conservatory for the annual holiday lights in the greenhouses. When I get a chance I'll see if a plaque is up and post a picture in [
http://groups.google.com/group/andee-carlsson-in-our-memory]. Spring will come soon enough. Maybe I can even get trees in bloom pictures?

I should have announced long ago that the memorial we planned last summer was completed. I'm sorry if my silence appeared that nothing was happening.

The dogwood varieties, for those who like such things, are Cornus X ‘Celestial’ and Cornus X ‘Aurora’. The names seemed appropriate for various reasons.

Thanks, again, to everyone who contributed to this. When she lived in Spokane Andee was a member of Friends of Manito and occasionally a volunteer at their events. I know she liked the park. Manito was close by to her home on Latawah St.

There are many fitting memorials to Andee. The trees are certainly heart-felt. Some have donated money to the school in Chacala -- a place where she loved the children, who are the future of that struggling village. Others have incorporated lessons learned from Andee into their own lives.


It is a good time for us to remember that we can choose to do good or choose to do nothing. Andee fully understood the difference.

4 comments:

Babs said...

Lovely.

Steve Cotton said...

Babs She was, indeed.

Islagringo said...

Thank you for sharing this update. I appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Steve Cotton said...

Islandgringo -- I thought of you when I posted it.