Sunday, February 01, 2009

two more down


That sigh you heard all the way to Tegucigalpa was one of relief.


This weekend, I completed two items on my moving to Mexico checklist.


The first involved my federal service retirement. My checks were to start this month. On Saturday, I received a letter itemizing what my first check will net me, and what each subsequent check will be. As soon as the first check is deposited in my current bank account, I will contact Citibank (Banamex) to open the American side of my Mexican account. (See
#8 and #9 -- paper money and money paper .)


That was the easy task this weekend. The more time-consuming portion was checked off this morning: my sermon at church. The topic was chosen for me. Our pastors are going to present a 10-week series of sermons based on Max Lucado's 3:16 -- Numbers of Hope. My assignment was to present an introduction and an overview.


Simple? Sure. But you all know me well enough that I can take a simple assignment and turn it into the Manhattan Project. I did far too much research, reworking, and rewriting during the past week. I was moving paragraphs around right up to the moment I stood up to deliver my sermon.


Sermon is probably not the correct term. I am a teacher, not a preacher. But I thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity. And it went well.


I believe I have mentioned the English-speaking church in Melaque. (That is it at the top of this post.) I have already made quite a few contacts in my two visits there. I will undoubtedly have more opportunities to keep my teaching skills honed.


And now -- back to the list -- after a nap.

4 comments:

Alan said...

Steve, enjoyed your pic from the restaurant but wondered if the lanyard was your pass from the sweat shop on High Street? Glad to see all is progressing well and your checks from all your labors are going to begin pouring in. Heard a speaker in Tucson last week who also referred to himself as a teacher rather than speaker. I suspect both of you are a bit understated! Alan

Babs said...

Ahh Steve, a wonderful man from San Miguel named Dean Underwood started that church. I traveled with he and his wife to Guatemala a few years ago. His wife has since died but Dean is still a force to be reckoned with in a very wonderful way. I hope your paths cross some day. He is a gem!

Babs said...

BTW, I'll be in Melaque next Friday for a week or two or three or so.......wish you would be there - hoping to meet First Mate and the Capt in Barra.

Steve Cotton said...

Al -- Yes. That is my slave tag. But I will soon trade it for -- nothing. Even though it was a lot of work, I fully enjoyed doing the sermon this morning -- all without looking at my notes.

Babs -- I have heard Dean's name. I would really like to meet him. The congregation in the church seems to ebb and flow with the snowbirds. Go figure! Say hello to The Captain and First Mate (sounds like a singing group -- and it is!) for me. I am sorry that I will miss the three of you on this trip.