Friday, December 05, 2008

we gather together



Hubris is not worn well by the old. I know that, but I don it regularly.


Last week I was cheerfully noting in
giving thanks by the forkful that I would not have to worry about cooking a Thanksgiving dinner this yeat. My mother was going to be at my brother's house, and I would eat with my aunt's family. No need for me to worry about what to prepare for dinner.


Well, I barely set down that mug of smugness when my family informed me that everyone (my mother, my brother, his wife, their daughter, my nephew, his wife, their 1-year old son) would be showing up at my house this Saturday for Thanksgiving-Christmas-birthdays for everyone dinner. As far as I know, we will slip in Independence Day and Memorial Day for good measure. We are a people thrifty with time.


And being thrifty with time, I am now happy I posted my menu last week. I said that was what we would be having, and by jingo, that is what we are going to have.


So, here it is, the menu for The Cotton Omnibus Holiday Dinner:

Prime rib roast with cabernet au jus
Roasted new potatoes with stone ground mustard and horseradish
Broccolini/sweet pepper/ginger stir fry
Creamed onions
Peas with mint
Spring greens with balsamic


And, following dinner, we will will sit down with a cheese, fruit, and pepperoni board to play a few rounds of Balderdash -- and work on a jig saw puzzle.


As I said earlier. Nothing exotic. Just family enjoying good food and creating new memories.


After all, if we are going to get together for only one celebration a year -- it better be good.

10 comments:

1st Mate said...

Looks like a very healthy menu, not a single decadent dessert! You're setting such a good example for your folks. (Don't be surprised if some well-meaning soul sneaks in a pie or something, though)

Steve Cotton said...

Bliss -- Pie is a family favorite, but we have more than enough to eat with the rest of the dinner.

GlorV1 said...

It really sounds like a delicious dinner and a fun time after dinner. Enjoy your family.

Anonymous said...

Hey Steve,

A dessert suggestion to solve the hubris: humble pie! (sorry, just couldn't resist ;-)

Enjoy that wonderful dinner with your family.

Alee'

Frankly Ronda said...

The Plan. The Reality TBD ...

Steve Cotton said...

AMM -- So true of life -- and it is what makes it worth living.

Alee' -- Apparently, my mother believes that no dinner is complete without a pie. She is bringing gooseberry. My brother, his wife, and my niece are already safely ensconced in the house.

Calypso said...

Is this one of those two sips of Cabernet au jus for the cook and one for the roast...and two more sips for the cook and maybe a half for the roast etc.

Love the Cabernet - hold the roast amigo.

Steve Cotton said...

John -- For we carnivopres, prime rib is the very cusp of nirvana.

Calypso said...

Steve - there is nothing more bothersome than a reformed anything - not that I am reformed I pretty much started out in life as vegetariano - so I will say buen provecho amigo.

Steve Cotton said...

And bueno it was.