Sunday, May 11, 2008

stand by your mom


For the past few months, I have been walking my Sunday school class through Matthew's gospel: a book that can best be described as how to be a good disciple. Lesson after lesson would come back to the same point. We are to love one another as we love ourselves. And we have no need to worry.


We are finishing up the book this month. In today's lesson we learn that upon Jesus' arrest and execution, even after two years of hearing the message of not worrying, his disciples scattered in fear. With a notable exception. A group of women who had followed and supported him stayed through the entire process -- because they had learned that love triumphs over fear.


One of the women, of course, was Jesus' very human mother: Mary.


I have never felt comfortable with what the Catholic church has done to the history of Mary. By effectively turning her into a goddess, the church has stripped her of her most meaningful role as a human mentor.


But I do not need to get into a theological debate here. I simply want to take a moment to honor all of the mothers of the world today -- including my own.


Moms -- we love you.


Mom -- I love you.

6 comments:

Alan said...

Well spoken regarding Mary. She was a human, as we are, with all the frailities that includes. But her love for her son was based on who He was to her, and who He was to the human race. I especially liked your final two lines, with emphasis on your last line. Many of us would love to give our Mothers one last hug and express how much they have influenced our lives.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Al. You just reminded me that I need to call my mother to tell her to look at the blog. She is not a frequent visitor.

Anonymous said...

hi steve,

thanks for the mothers' day wishes. how thoughtful of you. also, that was a nice tribute to your uncle. i am grateful to live in a country where i have my freedom because of people like your uncle and the many who have served.

what church is that statue in? it's beautiful!

teresa

Steve Cotton said...

Teresa -- The statue is Michaelangelo's Pieta in St. Peter's in Rome. I admit to cheating a bit on nationality, but it was the best representation I could think of.

Anonymous said...

i thought it looked familiar. we went to rome when we lived in sicily so i know i saw the pieta. is it in the vatican or the cathedral? we moved back to the states in 84 so can't remember for sure. hoping to take our boys to europe next summer as a college graduation present. heard it's pretty expensive now because of the euro-oh well.

have a nice week!

teresa

Anonymous said...

oops-just reread your reply and see that it's in st. peter's. what a magnificent church.

teresa