Saturday, May 10, 2008

pennies to heaven


Back at the end of March I mentioned that I had taken my Ford Escape into the shop for a routine checkup: brakes and battery. I then wandered down a rhetorical path of how much better we would all be by getting out of our cars and experiencing nature.


But I never told you -- the rest of the story. The shop called me later that afternoon to ask if they could keep the truck overnight. Now, there are some questions similar to that where you know that your answer will be "yes," and you know that the outcome is not going to be good. Such as: "Dad, do you and Mom have to come back from your vacation so soon?"


Thus it was here. When I called the next day, a very solemn voice began in a tone that signaled -- "We did all we could to save him." It appears that my 7-year old vehicle with 50,000 city miles on it had developed the dreaded Forditis: more oil leaks than a Venezuelan tanker. Added with the need for a break job and a coolant overhaul, all I needed to do was fork over a cool couple grand (and change), and I would have an Escape as good as -- 7-years old with 50,000 miles.


This is the point in every vehicle relationship where the question is: fix it or dump it? I thought this was going to be a good truck to take to Mexico. No liens. Reliable (up to now).


The answer is that I should buy a used vehicle for cash. But that is a year away -- and I need to stop fixing my current problems -- and start learning spanish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amigo - One thing you can REALLY look forward to in Mexico is terrifically clever and talented mechanics that are about a 10th of the labor cost of their NOB counters.

Bring your own parts to the party - but you can count on inexpensive high quality labor.

John Calypso

Steve Cotton said...

John -- Thanks for the suggestion. That is always a real possibility. The placement of the oil leaks bothers me a bit. Before long three seals are going to simply give way, and I will need some major work. But you are correct that mechanical work (just like medical care) is far cheaper in Mexico than in the States.

Michael Dickson said...

My wife and I hit a number of dealerships in Mexico City over the past few days. We're going to buy a new car. Not this year, hopefully next, depending on the stock market.

The Escape was one of the cars we looked at. We had already scratched it off the list, but your words here cemented that decision.

Señor Calypso is right, of course, about car repairs.

Steve Cotton said...

Michael -- I am glad you made it to Mexico City. How is the knee doing? I have thought of waiting to buy a car in Mexico once I get settled in. I am interested in what you finally decide to buy.