Monday, May 26, 2008

a memorial day thought



This photograph, the work and property of Todd Heisler, has been making the rounds on the internet. I could think of nothing better to remember those who have fallen performing duty on our behalf.


George Orwell once said: "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." And when they fall, there is personal grief, but we continue to honor them.


For those who have fallen, we give our thanks on this memorial day.

2 comments:

Islagringo said...

Leave us not forget, Memorial Day (I still remember it as Decoration Day)is to honor all of our deceased. Our families. I think of Veteran's Day as a time to specifically honor our war dead. Just saying, that's what today is to me. And let's not forget our friends...RIP Andee.

Steve Cotton said...

Wayne -- I can also remember the day as Decoration Day. Even though the day started as a day to decorate the graves of fallen military members, families also used it as a day to remember family members and friends. My mother and her sister will be performing that same rite today. Like you, I will be remembering our friend, Andee; and I will remember my uncles who died this year: Frank and Roy.