Tuesday, April 29, 2008

the skinny on skin



There is no way to avoid the following topic when talking about Brazilians. Undoubtedly, this post will offend some of my readers. But it is what is. And to avoid cries of sexism, I will be an equal opportunity exploiter.


When it comes to recreational wear, Brazilians are far more interested in comfort than they are in modesty. We all know the cliché concerning the girl from Ipanema: "tall and tan and young and lovely." And much of that is true. Young Brazilians are some of the most attractive people in the world. And when they are around a pool, they can wear less than most Americans wear as underwear.



But the girl from Ipanema's mother and grandmother (and father and grandfather) get in on the act, as well. During the two weeks of this cruise, I was impressed with how men and women in their 60s and older were willing to wear only slightly more clothes than their grandchildren. And that was not merely at the pool. The same attire was de rigueur for the running track, as well. (Note the attire behind the dancing women.)



There is an old saw that when an American woman puts on a bathing suit, she sees her mother in the mirror. When an American man puts on a bathing suit, he sees a Greek god in the mirror. In Brazil, no one gives it a second thought.



The couple in the center of the photograph are two
of the Brazilians I got to know on this cruise. Truly delightful
people.

For those Margaret Meadites who are quick to assume that the presence of flesh inoculates community members from lust, I offer my own armchair sociology. This is one of the funniest pictures I took on this cruise. These two Brazilian brothers and their friends were surreptitiously taking pictures of young women in their bathing suits. You see the result. Titillation appears to be a universal sport.





Of course, the irony is that the boys are doing nothing more than what the rest of us are doing.


I could not help comparing my experience in Brazil with my visits to Mexico. My Mexican friends would have been scandalized by the acres of wobbling flesh on the running track. We have all seen our share of odd swimwear in Mexico, but no self-respecting Mexican would be caught dead wandering through a shop in the equivalent of a shorty nightgown.



The two guys are not
Brazilian. They are both
Argentinian and members of the cruise staff.
The fellow on the right is a former actor.


The lesson in all this? I will leave that for you, dear readers. All I know is that the Brazilians appear to have a very healthy attitude about their bodies. Age is not something to be ashamed of. It simply is.


As for me, I continue to buy baggy clothing.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Older Mexican tradition is quite modest and it is reflected in things around here - But(t) skin tight jeans, bare bellies and lots of cleavage is a current wave - not all bad - but(t) there are a LOT of overweight hombres and mujeres who have no problem with the aforementioned attire - YIKES!

Juan Calypso

Brenda Maas said...

Lots of skin showing here also and not always in a good way. Overweight and tight/skimpy clothing is not pretty. I also will stick to my baggy clothes.

Babs said...

Oh come on Steve, admit it, didn't you wear a "thong" just a little bit of the time?

Steve Cotton said...

Babs -- As I was taking these photographs, I was wondering who was taking a photograph of me to post on a Brazilian blog. "Joao, did you see the American in the speedo? Whew!"

Brenda and Juan -- I am used to skimpy clothing -- even here in Oregon. But the underwear look is not regularly displayed on running tracks. Maybe I am just getting too old to appreciate the performance art in all of this.

Islagringo said...

Try living on a resort island! We are now leaving the season of North Americans behind and entering the season of the European. Yikes! The beach/downtown wear is not just skimpy, it is worn so low on the men that there are showing us all parts of their bodies that are best left to the imagination or the bedroom. I think it's about time for another fashion expose!

Steve Cotton said...

Wayne --

I thought of you as I was snapping away. I was going to take photographs of the more egregious exposed portions, but I could not bring myself to do it. I would be interested in what you have to share with us.

Babs said...

Well guys, while I'm on the beach in Sayulita getting ready to work on my tan....I'll be peeking over the dunes to see if someone has a camera! Geeez..........I love the guys on the beach in huaraches with black knee socks, bermuda shorts, a Hawaiian shirt and a palm hat........sends my heart pitty-pat - NOT!

Steve Cotton said...

Hmm. I never thought of using the technique of disguising myself as a tourist from Des Moines. My new chick magnet personality.

Hollito said...

You norte-americans are really strange people: You have a problem with recreational wear and nudity...hey, here in Krautland you can find the women topless in summer at lakes where swimming is allowed. Women of all ages (even I would prefer to see only young and nice ones...).
And nobody minds about this... :-)
So just keep cool. :-)
And don´t be so serious! :-)
Even I will not be loved for writing this: You come from a country where freedom of mind is most important, but as soon as it comes to showing a bit more flesh, you behave like the pilgrims...strange.

Steve Cotton said...

Hollito -- I was not offended by the exposure of skin. What shocked me was the willingness of even the oldest and heaviest to wander around on the exercise track in the equivalent of underwear. I remember a cruise where I walked out on a sunny deck. There were three women sunbathing. As my eyes adjusted to the light, I realized they were topless. I then realized they were all in their late 70s. I quickly turned around and went inside.