Saturday, March 22, 2008

sailing into the past



I was looking through my photographs of our sailing trip in the San Juans and Gulf Islands last year. For no particular reason, I decided I would share a few with you.


It may be that Bliss is currently out of touch sailing back up the Pacific coast from Barra de Navidad. When she arrives home, this will be a little gift for her and the Captain.


Under sail in the channel between Sucia and Waldron Islands.



And, of course, some star fish -- just for Wayne -- in the harbor at Ganges, Salt Springs Island.



I just thought this was an interesting photograph -- Sucia Island.




No trip in the San Juans would be complete without spotting a pod of orcas -- just outside of Anacortes. They are magnificent creatures.


These pictures are a good reminder to me that life offers a lot of opportunities in my current circumstances. But I am ready for a lot more.

5 comments:

Babs said...

All I can say is "uuuuuuh" how beautiful - the best of ALL worlds, sailing (which I miss a lot), water (which I miss a lot) and orcas........how magnificent! I've always wanted to go to the San Juan Islands........some day.

Steve Cotton said...

I have always enjoyed sailing -- especially in the San Juans. I hope I can continue sailing out of of Barra de Navidad's very nice harbor -- if I settle there.

Cory said...

The picture of the green boat (tug/trawler) that's what I want to cruise in someday.

I would like to spend several months cruising up the Columbia River and then who knows ... maybe to the San Juans. Currently my wife is not interested in going to sea in a small boat.

Steve Cotton said...

Cory --

The "converted" tug boats we run across on these trips are really quite comfortable. I am wlling to bet Lori would love a trip in one.

Will we see you on Wednesday? Darrel, Kaitlynn, and I will be there.

Cory said...

Oh yes, they are comfortable. The one in the picture looks like it might be a Nordic Tug, they are very well made and new they cost between $300k and for a slightly larger one $500k.

See you Wed. glad you can come.