Saturday, January 12, 2008

an avian visitation

Hey! Has anyone seen Tippy Hedren?

Robins in January. Flocks of them. Having never been a police public relations officer, I have no way to estimate large crowds. But I swear a flock of at least 80 robins are currently stirring up the neighborhood. They have covered the neighbor's lawn and have now begun the equivalent of the Normandy landing on my fence. Apparently, cottonester berries are the daily special.

I called a friend to tell him about my Alfred Hitchcock moment and noticed that from my computer I can see the robins, several juncos, a nuthatch, two chickadees, and a flock of bush tits. If John James Audubon were to stroll through my back yard with a breech loader, I would not be the least bit surprised.

Mexico planning has taken second -- or third -- place for a moment. Jiggs's recovery has been amazing. (I use "recovery" advisably because I am fully aware his leg problem is only going to be the first in a series of problems.) He is running on a regular basis during our walks. To accommodate his leg pain, he runs like a rabbit propelling himself with both rear legs simultaneously. It looks funny, but it is utilitarian.

I am going to enjoy his companionship in the moment. If I have learned anything from nursing him through this crisis (I think he may have provided more care for me), it is that worrying about the future is a sucker's game. Playing the cards we are dealt in the moment is far more important -- and then doing the right thing.

I have also decided to not cancel a trip to Brazil, Morocco, Spain, and Portugal in April. I was getting far too concerned about finances. Professor Jiggs says: Go.

My brother and I have not yet made plans on when we will go to Pátzcuaro. We are still trying to get together to celebrate Christmas. We can make our plans then. This morning, I caught myself thinking about living in Barra de Navid. I guess I have not completely eliminated the idea of living near the ocean.

And in just a few days, I will celebrate another birthday. It is time to enjoy the day. I think I will order a pizza.

No comments: