Saturday, December 22, 2007

old dogs -- new sticks

One of the great advantages of reading other blogs is that worries can be easily resolved -- better than 50 minutes on a strict Freudian's couch. I have mentioned the venerable Professor Jiggs -- my golden retriever. He will be 12 in a few days, and he shows his age. Up until recently, our short walks have lasted a long time. They always have because Jiggs has a fascination for every smell. If born French, he would be blending and testing perfume or wine. But his smellfests are now a cover for his arthritis and impinged nerves. After all, he is the equivalent of a 91 year old man. He has not run for almost a full year. As I have watched him decline, I have reconciled myself to the fact that he would not live long enough to make the journey with me. And the leashless, aggressive dogs I encountered in La Manzanilla and Barra de Navidad would have more than a match for him. Jiggs believes he has the street smarts of a three card monte dealer when he is really nothing more than a cossetted lap dog with a thyroid condition. He is also very uncomfortable in the heat. The thought of living in Mexico without him was not a pleasant option.

Two things have altered that concern. First, Nancy's (Countdown to Mexico) description of how well her dogs are doing in Mazatlan gives me hope. Second, for two nights in a row, Jiggs has been running during our walks in the park. Tonight he was literally frisky.

If I can arrange to get down to Mexico during the coming year, it appears I will be taking my best friend with me.

Jiggs during younger and friskier days.

7 comments:

Andee said...

Hi, your dog is really cute.
I like your post alot. Probaby because I agree with what you wrote.

Take care. Andee

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Andee. Jiggs and I have had 12 years of fun and trying to prove which male is in charge. It would be great if he could accompany me on this journey.

Nancy said...

One thing you might want to think about if he is able to come with you and he does get hot is getting him a haircut. I know he has that beautiful coat - but my son had success with his VERY furry Newfoundland mix and a pretty close haircut. Now Xochitl looks almost like a Labrador! Funny.

BTW, yes, just center, add italics, and change the font size for captions.

And, Mazatlan IS great! There's a book "Mazatlan is Paradise" to check out - we got it on Amazon. author is Charles Hall.

Steve Cotton said...

Thanks, Nancy. I have thought of the haircut route -- and Jiggs will need it if we stay on the coast. I have a friend who had a golden a few months older than Jiggs. I went over to their house one summer and commented on their new yellow lab. It turned out to be Levi in a crew cut. Jiggs, on the other hand, has pride issues. But he would certainly welcome the relief during a Mexican summer.

I think I have the caption issue under control now. Thanks, again.

Steve Cotton said...

Nancy --

I just ordered the book you suggested. Thanks.

Islagringo said...

Hope springs eternal and I hope Mr Jiggs does too!

Steve Cotton said...

Wayne --

At the moment, he is on his couch glaring at me because we are not sloshing around in the near-freezing rain of western Oregon. Translated into golden retriever that means that we are wasting a perfect day by sitting in the boring house while boring Steve types on the boring computer.